THREE SQUARES
All this to-do about toilet paper has brought to mind various experiences pertaining to that life essential. Right now I am sitting two rooms away from an open package of lavender scented toilet paper, the only kind my son could find, with a scent that is so strong I will not have to spray for as long as this stuff lasts. Anyone who thinks they can cause the smell of our body function to disappear is operating under a delusion. Ain't nothin' that really covers it up.
Back to the subject at hand; the first thought that came to my mind in the midst of the tp frenzy was my husband telling me one thing they instructed him to do when he was in the Air Force. He was told that they could use only three squares of toilet paper per visit. Evidently there was someone outside the stall handing it out. Which memory then connects to our drive up the autobahn through Germany many years ago. They have handy rest stops on the way and we pulled in to one to use the facilities. Right outside the door of both men's and women's restrooms was a large, rather foreboding looking woman handing out, (you guessed it), three squares of toilet paper, to each person entering. Not to be insulting, but there are some people who need a helluva lot more than three squares.
Moving on with this charming subject, I am reminded of the time we lived in New Orleans and would frequent Pat O'Brien's nightclub. On the second floor was the ladies restroom, a rather nice place where you could actually "rest". There was a small sitting room with comfortable couches, tables and a telephone for those who needed help, etc. (We used to always carry at least a dime so we could call home in case of trouble with our date) Ah, but I digress. Inside the stall area in front of a window sat a neatly dressed woman handing out three squares of toilet paper! We always tipped her.
Oh my goodness! I just remembered another tp occasion! Way long ago when I was very young my parents and I used to go to Nuevo Laredo and Monterrey, Mexico quite a lot. Sure enough, in each city there was always an attendant in the ladies' room handing out squares. Guess it wasn't that unusual.
All this also reminds me of the stories we have heard about the King's personal attendant whose honor it was to wipe the royal behind. Do you suppose they used three squares of silk?
Back to the subject at hand; the first thought that came to my mind in the midst of the tp frenzy was my husband telling me one thing they instructed him to do when he was in the Air Force. He was told that they could use only three squares of toilet paper per visit. Evidently there was someone outside the stall handing it out. Which memory then connects to our drive up the autobahn through Germany many years ago. They have handy rest stops on the way and we pulled in to one to use the facilities. Right outside the door of both men's and women's restrooms was a large, rather foreboding looking woman handing out, (you guessed it), three squares of toilet paper, to each person entering. Not to be insulting, but there are some people who need a helluva lot more than three squares.
Moving on with this charming subject, I am reminded of the time we lived in New Orleans and would frequent Pat O'Brien's nightclub. On the second floor was the ladies restroom, a rather nice place where you could actually "rest". There was a small sitting room with comfortable couches, tables and a telephone for those who needed help, etc. (We used to always carry at least a dime so we could call home in case of trouble with our date) Ah, but I digress. Inside the stall area in front of a window sat a neatly dressed woman handing out three squares of toilet paper! We always tipped her.
Oh my goodness! I just remembered another tp occasion! Way long ago when I was very young my parents and I used to go to Nuevo Laredo and Monterrey, Mexico quite a lot. Sure enough, in each city there was always an attendant in the ladies' room handing out squares. Guess it wasn't that unusual.
All this also reminds me of the stories we have heard about the King's personal attendant whose honor it was to wipe the royal behind. Do you suppose they used three squares of silk?
Comments
Post a Comment