WHAT NOW?
I used to lead a useful life. Studied, married, had children, worked, traveled, worked some more and then, BOOM! Nothing left to do. Being old and retired sucks! RICH, old and retired might be okay but I don't know because I'm not rich, just the other two. True, I have rich memories and a fine, loving family, but on a daily basis there's not much to do or so it seems if you led a full productive life.
But when you get right down to it, you can't visit with your children one on one everyday, especially now during Covid. I read, do jigsaw and crossword puzzle, watch TV and take my dog out but all that pales by comparison.
My degree in Spanish and sociology afforded me some interesting jobs. I did social work for fifteen or so years and that made me feel like I was contributing to society; or at least helping it along. Then we had a restaurant where I prepared Mexican and Spanish food, met interesting people and enjoyed life, even though the work was arduous. I used to travel quite a bit also. There were other fields of employment but those two were the most fulfilling and done the longest.
As my readers, if there are any, can see by comparison, TV, puzzles, and dog walking don't cut it. I will end this epistle with a poem that expresses the picture rather well.
I've had dungeness crab in San Francisco
eaten sea scallops in Athens, Greece.
Dined on Coquille St. Jacques in New Orleans.
I've enjoyed lobster in New York
and clam chowder in Baltimore,
squid in its own ink in San Sebastian, Spain,
and oysters Bienville in New Orleans
I ate delicious shrimp cocktails in Acapulco
and crab stuffed trout in Madrid
Last but certainly not least,
there were mountain oysters in Beeville, Texas.
So why would anyone think I would enjoy "All you can eat at
Long John Silver's"?
I have one question, did you really eat the mountain oysters?!
ReplyDeleteI love and admire all of the things you've done and ways you've contributed! This blog is a contribution too!