COLLEGE DAZE

Back in the day when I went to college, we weren't allowed to live off campus let alone live in a co-op setting. I lived in a three story girls' dorm and shared a room with a girl I had never met before. Thankfully, she was very pleasant and we got along fine. My first taste of living with so many was the lack of privacy, a concept new to this country girl. Things went along smoothly but I learned a lot about the way other people live.
One of my friends was a couple of years older than most of us and she had taught dancing at Arthur Murray School of Dance in either North or South Carolina. Whichever, doesn't matter. She planned on making enough money to go to college but fate intervened in an unusual way. A rich, elderly gentleman started taking dancing lessons from her and became absolutely besotted with her. She told him of her plans and he said if she would become his mistress he would pay for her education. Now how can a sweet Southern gal pass up an offer like that?
Sooooo, off to college she went with him not far behind. He moved to nearby Dallas and things went smoothly.  Now when I said "elderly", I MEANT "elderly". About six of us were invited to his 90th birthday party at the Adolphus Hotel in Dallas where we had nice rooms, dined on lobster, and drank champagne in their fine restaurant. We guests retired to our rooms and our hostess got in a bit later. We asked her what she had to do to keep him happy and she replied, "Not a lot", nudge, nudge, wink, wink. He probably died with a smile on his face.
Forgot to tell you that aside from the sugar daddy, she had a real boyfriend on the side. He was a traveling pharmaceutical salesman and about a year after we graduated, we all got copies of their marriage certificate.
She was definitely one of a kind.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

THREE SQUARES

HALLOWED EVE?

TO BE AN ONLY CHILD