It's Not My Default!

I used to be somewhat satisfied that I was fluent in another language. I really wanted to learn a third one but I never  put my mind to that, so I didn't. Now I find that I'd better learn "computerese" if I want to get along in the modern world. My first realization of this necessity was when I discovered that the word "default" does not refer to the football team who lost that way because they didn't show up for the game. Oh no, now it refers to something rather important on the computer. (At least, I think it does). Then comes the use of the word "hotspot". When I was young that referred to a really swinging place in town where we could go to have a good time.
One computer word I really love is "bluetooth". What possessed someone to use the name of a 10th century Danish king for a wireless technology? Well, at least that's more intelligent than "Yahoo", a word I thought, up to now,  referred to bunch of villains in the story Gulliver's Travels. Then there's "google". Is that what one does when they want to giggle with their mouth full?
Of course, my lingo problem is not new. When I was a teenager I though "linebacker" referred to a Hereford cow that had a white stripe too far down its back!
There are a lot more phrases in computer work that are foreign to me but I'm not smart enough to know them. I'm just glad I can turn the damn thing on.

Comments

  1. I love this one! Very accurate and there are so many more words that it takes time to figure out!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

THREE SQUARES

HALLOWED EVE?

TO BE AN ONLY CHILD