WAIT, THERE'S MORE!

Every time I finish writing and publish the next day I remember something else I should have put in the writing. I remembered some other experiences I had during my caseworker days so here they are.

I know I said that I was never afraid when visiting in all those recipients' homes, but I had forgotten one specific visit. It was in San Antonio on the East side of town that I knocked on the sagging old door of an elderly lady's house. After I explained who I was and why I was there she let me in. Initially she was afraid I was going to cut back on her welfare check. She remained unsure of me the entire time I spoke with her. How did I know this, you ask?  Because while she sat in her rocking chair near the wood stove, she kept her hand on a large axe that was right beside her. I placed my chair as near to the door as I could get and kept an eye on a possible escape route. Needless to say, I was relieved when that interview was over.

Another visit took me to a tiny, ramshackled house where, while knocking on the door, an angry dog came running around the corner,snarling and barking at me. I've never been afraid of dogs so I thought I could talk to this one but he wasn't in the mood to be cajoled. Just about the time I was ready to make a run for the car, I heard a voice from the back of the house telling the dog to be quiet. Here came a tiny little lady with a hoe in her hand asking what I wanted. When I explained, she was okay with my being there and I asked her why the dog was so irritated. She replied, "I feeds him buckshot to make him mean".

One day I was having a difficult time locating the next person I was to visit. Picture, if you will, driving around San Antonio without GPS. After I had looked up all the places I planned to visit, I usually wrapped the city map around the steering wheel just in case. I finally found the house I was looking for but the street wasn't on the map. It was right up next to the railroad! Seriously!
Anyway, I got out of the car, opened the gate and the old lady sitting on the porch yelled for me to watch where I was walking...she chewed tobacco and spit it all over her front yard! I had to tiptoe on up to the porch.

That story reminds me of a woman I met who had a mustache and a bit of a beard where there were traces of tobacco dribbling down her chin.

I will leave you with that picture.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

THREE SQUARES

HALLOWED EVE?

TO BE AN ONLY CHILD