ADD-ON

I forgot a couple of incidents that occurred while I was Deputy Sheriff. so here they are.

I was the first female Deputy Sheriff of Gillespie County, Texas, and as such they didn't know what to do with me.  All law enforcement officers were required to take the FBI firearms course so off we went to the wilds of the county where we were instructed by an Agent. The guys were a little afraid to be near me while I had a firearm but they needn't have been because I learned how to shoot when I was very young living out in the country. As related in one of my past blogs, I was a pretty good shot. Anyway, there was a life sized silhouette as our target and we shot it from various positions with our pistols. Then we had to use a shotgun, which, again, was not foreign to me except for the fact that the kickback was so strong I had to shoot from the hip. This caused me to shoot the poor figure right between the legs, which would stop any attacker pretty quick. We also had to shoot at night, pitch dark ,no moon, with flashlight in hand and pistol in the other. That ain't easy. I passed the course and even got a better score than one old Deputy. He was not happy, just deflated.

The other thing I forgot was that I made only one arrest during my tenure. See, my husband and I had a Spanish/Mexican restaurant, (The Spanish Cellar), at the time and I worked as a Deputy during the day and a chef at night. No moss under my feet!! Well, one day the Sheriff gave me a warrant for the arrest of a young lady who had been passing bad checks all over town, so off I went to apprehend this villain. I knew exactly where to find her because we had recently employed her as our waitress. Right before the restaurant was to open for the noon run, I walked in and arrested her. My husband said, "Couldn't you just wait until the rush hour is over?" Well, I couldn't so away we went. Needless to say, he checked out the next waitress.

There was never much excitement with law enforcement in Fredericksburg, unless you count the time I gave out a ten- code that meant the bank was being robbed and they all went rushing over to find out that was the wrong code. I thought I'd never hear the end of that. I think they were all glad when we moved to New Orleans.

Comments

  1. Wow, my friend, I had no idea you were the first female deputy sheriff in Gillespie County, and I am greatly impressed. What an interesting life you have had. I am so proud to have you for a friend. PS Sure enjoyed meeting Quita in Austin the other day. She is a fine young woman and she loves her Mama.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

THREE SQUARES

HALLOWED EVE?

TO BE AN ONLY CHILD