RHYME TIME

I found some more old poems written long ago so I want to share them with you.

SILVER SCREEN

I didn't want Gene Kelly to die.
I didn't realize it would make me cry
I wasn't ready when Robert Mitchum went
and now my emotions are really spent.
Bela and Boris are gone too
so scary movies are all but through.
Elvis didn't affect me much.
We were the same age and, as such,
it was not like when I was a teen, 
looking at the silver screen.
There they were in all their glory
telling some fascinating story.
And so it was all these years
until, peeking from beneath my tears,
I saw my aging reflection,
felt so much in retrospection,
happy that those stars had shared
a time with me as if they cared.

I wrote that one on 9/29/97

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HOME

A slow squeak, a gentle bang

That was the screened back door.

The hinges needed some oil

and the flies were quick to flit in.

But that didn't matter because

fresh air came in through those tiny little squares

and it smelled good.

We didn't have "Country Flowers" spray or "Ocean Breeeze"

No need.

We had love

and my Mama standing with that screened door held open

saying

"Come in this house!"

Then I was home.

7/23/03
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
LOOKIN' GOOD

When I looked good, no one said.
But now that I feel half dead
people go out of their way to say
"My, don't you look fine today."
Once I was a petite size four.
That ain't gonna' happen no more.
Now I feel fine if I can wear a ten.
but twelve is more likely what I can get in.
Oh, well I'm still here and doin' great
Pile some more potatoes on my plate!

2004







Comments

  1. Home is my favorite. You tell a good story with your poems, and I enjoyed all of them. Thank you for sharing them with your readers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always love your poetry. HOME brought a few tears to my eyes. What love we had there.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

THREE SQUARES

HALLOWED EVE?

TO BE AN ONLY CHILD