HIGH TEA
This past Thursday I went downstairs to our community room for what was to be a "High Tea". We had one last year and it was very nice, ladies dressed up wearing hats and the tables were set with fine china, etc. I am a bit of a snob when it comes to things that have a tradition and I had been to High Tea in Scotland. Before I describe the scene, I must tell you that here in this retirement community for the elderly, whatever the scheduled start time is, they will show up at least 30 minutes before. Therefore, when I arrived all the tables were full but the nice hostess gave me her seat. Well, the lady to the left of me, bless her heart, was partially deaf and had four teeth; the one on my right went to sleep and the one across from me didn't say a word. Now please understand that I am not belittling the toothless one, only describing her to set the scene, which didn't get any better.
The tradition is to have a three-tiered serving plate with little goodies on it in the middle of the table.
That was not the case this day. Someone had cut two crustless pieces of bread into four little "finger sandwiches", placed them alongside bits of cheese and teeny weeny veggie bites. But the "piece de resistance" was DOUGHNUT HOLES! These were to be devoured with tea (sweet or unsweetened?) served into the mugs from a thermos.
I always wish I could be in Scotland, and this day I surely did! We were told (over the din of jabbering women) that there was to be entertainment later. Oh joy! I can't imagine what that might be..maybe a 90 year old stripper! I had to leave before that fun began. it was just too much for me.
The tradition is to have a three-tiered serving plate with little goodies on it in the middle of the table.
That was not the case this day. Someone had cut two crustless pieces of bread into four little "finger sandwiches", placed them alongside bits of cheese and teeny weeny veggie bites. But the "piece de resistance" was DOUGHNUT HOLES! These were to be devoured with tea (sweet or unsweetened?) served into the mugs from a thermos.
I always wish I could be in Scotland, and this day I surely did! We were told (over the din of jabbering women) that there was to be entertainment later. Oh joy! I can't imagine what that might be..maybe a 90 year old stripper! I had to leave before that fun began. it was just too much for me.
We are spoiled by our travels!
ReplyDelete