PAST PHRASES
The other day I got a call from a young lady whose job it is to check on old people like me; part of a Medicare service. She checks to see if I am following the prescribed setup given to me by my doctor, etc. When she asked how I was doing, I replied, "Oh, I'm cooking on all four burners." She said, "You're busy so I'll let you go." She wasn't familiar with that phrase which means I'm doing just fine. That brought to mind a few of the old adages that still come in handy from time to time. Things l like, "that's a tough row to hoe" or "don't get your knickers in a twist" or "I feel like I been rode hard and put up wet". There's also, "He don't know shit from Shinola". See, Shinola was (maybe still is) a brand of shoe shine polish, so you get the picture. There's also a saying that "It's colder than a well-digger's ass". Does anyone understand that a well digger is bending way over to dig the hole? Sorry, but I have to use a few unsavory words here to make my point. My mother used to say "It's colder than a well digger's knee" because she was nicer than I am. There's one that really makes the point, "I don't have a pot to piss in or a window to throw it out of". One I've always like is "He's been glued, screwed and tattooed". Don't run across an occasion to use that one very often.
Just a little side note: The other day, I asked a Target employee if they had any TV trays and he didn't know what that was so I had to describe them to him and then he found some. Also, an employee in the cosmetics section wasn't familiar with "powder puffs" and showed me some spongy things which are unsatisfactory. I found the regular old puffs in another section.
I'll probably remember a few more after I send this, but that's all I have for now. Meanwhile, don't put all your eggs in one basket.
Just a little side note: The other day, I asked a Target employee if they had any TV trays and he didn't know what that was so I had to describe them to him and then he found some. Also, an employee in the cosmetics section wasn't familiar with "powder puffs" and showed me some spongy things which are unsatisfactory. I found the regular old puffs in another section.
I'll probably remember a few more after I send this, but that's all I have for now. Meanwhile, don't put all your eggs in one basket.
So true! I used these when teaching and in the last decade they've definitely lost their effect! My kids know them from our use!!
ReplyDelete