YEARS OF VOTING

Today was the day called "Super Tuesday", an important prequel to the November elections. I remembered my past voting experiences so I thought I would share them.  I was 21 and in college when I first voted and I cast my vote for the winner then; Dwight David Eisenhower. Of course, that was obviously a long time ago and I have gone to the polls a lot since then, but a few visits stand out.

I remember going to the Court House in Fredericksburg, Texas, to vote where there were no booths, just a long waist-high table against the wall with little 8 inch divisions all along it. We were given paper ballots and a pen and told to pick a slot. The lack of privacy was astounding, especially since if your neighbor was over 5'6" or so he could see who you voted for.

The other memorable election day was in New Orleans in the '70s where the voting sites were often moved just a few hours before they opened. One time I went to two different addresses before I found where they had moved the polls. Gee, I wonder why.

I seem to have drawn a blank here as to the other places where I voted but I do have an opinion I wish to share. It seems rather after-the-fact for candidates to clutter the voting sites with campaign signs and their names. If you have gotten as far as driving up to park and go in to vote, haven't you pretty much already decided who you're going to vote for?

That's it for now folks. Sorry I couldn't remember more.
P.S. Just about all I voted for always won except the latest fiasco. I am NOT responsible for the current occupant of the White House!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

THREE SQUARES

HALLOWED EVE?

TO BE AN ONLY CHILD