LONG DISTANCES

   I have searched through my past blogs to see if I have written anything about the subject I am entertaining now but I haven't found it so here goes.

   In 1954 I decided to take a break in my college life so I signed up for a correspondence course, went home to Beeville and got a job working for a lawyer. He was a very nice person and gave me plenty of responsibilities for which I am ever grateful. I learned a lot, had fun dating Navy personnel and all-in-all gained some insight into the real world. Even though Beeville is a dumpy little town, it is close enough to other places where there is actually something to do. It may be difficult for those of you who live in cities to understand, but in South Texas if you were seeking good entertainment, you had to drive to it. That means going a distance of at least 100 miles from home in one night on a regular date. One of our fun places to go was Nuevo Laredo, Coahuila, Mexico, which was 135 miles away, but in Texas you don't talk miles, you talk Time, so that was about two and a half hours.
   So at least six of us would pile in a car and drive down, cross the border easily, no passport needed and pop into the first good nightclub, of which there were plenty. We'd have a few drinks, eat some great food and then dance until at least the stroke of midnight when we started the trek back. I don't remember ever having to choose a designated driver although I'm sure there was one among us who didn't drink, or least, not too much. Obviously we got back safely 'cause here I am some sixty-odd years later not too much for the wear. We made trips to Mexico many times and it was always wonderful fun.
   Speaking of Mexico reminds me of the time my parents and I went to Nuevo Laredo right before I was to go off to college. We were in one of the fascinating shops there when Daddy decided that I should have a new set of luggage for my college days. They took us in to a private viewing room in the back of the store and began to serve margaritas to Mama and Daddy at the same time showing them the array of tooled leather luggage that was available. First, of course, I had to have a rather large suitcase for my clothes, then one more margarita later, I needed a mid size for incidentals, and by the third drink, I had a set of matching, hand-tooled leather suitcases for my entrance into the world of learning. Guess they "saw him coming".
   It is sad that we no longer have the relationship we once had with our neighbor Mexico. It is a beautiful country filled with friendly, artistic people who contributed a lot to their Texas neighbors. Also, the border is not really a division as there are so many families whose lives are intertwined with one another. The Wall is a devastation to that area and to the people who have made their homes there. Sadly, our country is run by those who do not understand nor do they care about the ways of others, concentrating on their own selfish misunderstandings.

Ah, I have begun to politicize and have lost my happy train of thought. Therefore, that's the end of this little epistle.



 

Comments

  1. I love what you shared here! This is such a vivid recollection and honors the places and people beautifully! Thank you! Well said Kay!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

THREE SQUARES

HALLOWED EVE?

TO BE AN ONLY CHILD