KAY AND KATTLE

It has been requested that I write more details about raising my Herefords so here goes. For those of you who don't know, this was way before ERA or any of that and I didn't belong to FFA or others.

As I mentioned before, I bought my first Hereford with money from when I cashed in my War Bonds. That was 1950--wow! that's a long time ago!- There's not much more to write about but I thought you would like to see the photos of my cattle. Guess they are what kept me out of trouble when I was in high school.Too busy taking care of them. The sales did pay for my college tuition. I must explain that registered Herefords, such as mine, are not bred and raised for slaughter. Their purpose in life is to breed with other cattle in order to make the meat from them better. That reminds me of an incident I may have told you about but I can't find it in my past posts so will tell you again.

We lived a short distance from the county auction ring where various animals were sold once a week. One morning the manager of the auction ring called to tell me that two of my bulls were bothering the livestock there and would I please come get them. Unlike most people who raise cattle, I didn't have a horse so I had to walk down there and retrieve them. They had been enticed to check out the cows that were for sale and that were also in heat..  I put a halter on each one and led them back home. It's very embarrassing to walk down the highway escorting two horny bulls home.

Each year in Beeville there was a rodeo, stock show and sale. One year the auctioneers asked me to lead the Grand Champion Hereford around the ring, thinking that might cause the bids to be better than usual. I was fine with that idea so I stepped into the ring leading this enormous bull but he decided he would help me walk faster, so he started gently nudging me around. I could hear gasps from the crowd but he wasn't hurting me so we made a couple of turns before he sold for a good amount and off we went, all okay.








I

Comments

  1. I never tire of these stories! I am so proud of my Mama and what you have accomplished in life; you are my inspiration!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

THREE SQUARES

HALLOWED EVE?

TO BE AN ONLY CHILD