THE OTHER SIDE OF THINGS

   I wrote a bit entitled "The Wall" about going to Mexico, but it was brief and of course didn't cover all of my trips there. Much of my life experiences were bound up in trips to Mexico and I miss that so much now.
   I told you about Daddy buying my luggage in Nuevo Laredo and about partying there but I haven't covered other things we used to do. There was, and still is, an elegant store in Nuevo Laredo called Deutsch and Deutsch. Mother and I loved walking through this rather large, elegant jewelry store admiring all the marvelous and unique gifts to be found there. I don't remember if we bought anything but we probably didn't because it was rather expensive and we "had a champagne taste on a beer pocketbook". But no one minded if we walked through the store or paused to listen to the old Mexican man playing the harp in the lobby. His music was so soothing and enjoyable. I wish I could go there again.
   There was a fine restaurant in Monterrey called La Luisiana where we ate occasionally when we stayed the weekend there. The food was similar to the kind you find in New Orleans and it was delicious! I was only about ten or so when we went there and of course, my hometown had no restaurant that came near to this one, so, aside from the good manners my mother had taught me, I was a fish out of water when it came to fine dining. One evening after another lovely dining experience, the waiter came to our table and offered me a bowl with rose petals and bits of lemon floating in water. (I didn't know it was water). I told him I couldn't possibly eat another thing because I was quite full. He smiled and explained, "oh no, this is for you to refresh your fingers" and he handed me another linen napkin.  To this day I remember how embarrassed I was.
   Since the border was open then, going to and from Mexico crossing the Rio Grande was a test of patience. I remember one time coming back from the interior we were in stopped traffic on the bridge and had been for some time. I looked down at the river to my right and there were four men with packs on their shoulders wading across. They made it faster than we did but with more difficulty, I'm sure. (the Rio Grande there is quite shallow much of the time)
   My children will remember a time when we had been visiting my husband's aunt and uncle in Monterrey. They gave the kids fresh fruit for the return trip and when we got to the U.S. side of the bridge, the Border Patrolman said they couldn't take the fruit into Texas so he confiscated it. The kids were very upset and asked him if he was going to give it to the poor or eat it himself. He said he had to throw it away. What a waste!  So the next time we visited they took some plastic fruit that looked extremely real with them. On the return entry, the guard said he would have to take it and the kids all happily handed it over to him, laughing to see his reaction when he saw it was fake!
   I have more stories about Mexico because I have been involved with that country all my long life. But I'm tired of writing so will do more another day.
   Hasta luego!
 
 

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

THREE SQUARES

HALLOWED EVE?

TO BE AN ONLY CHILD