UNDERCOVER

When I graduated from college back in the near dark ages, I wanted to find a job where I worked directly with people (not selling stuff) so I was referred to the State Department of Public Welfare. Don't know what it's called now but it was perfect for me. I got a job as a case worker in San Antonio which was comfortably close to my hometown. I found an apartment in a pleasant part of town and thus began the rest of my life.

My training classes were held in the Forth Worth Courthouse where various government offices were. The sheriff's office was there and that was how I met a very handsome young deputy. After a few regular dates, he told me that we were going to Dallas, just a short  thirty miles away, on the next Saturday and for me to wear something really nice because we were going to a nightclub. That was great with me so I got all dolled up and on the trip over he told me not to mention that he was a deputy or anything about law enforcement. Okay, says I, there are more interesting conversations to be had anyway. I didn't know he was investigating Jack Ruby. After the assassination of Kennedy, I realized what it was all about.

I have tried to remember the name of the nightclub we went to, but even looking up the ones owned by Ruby in Dallas at that time, I haven't recognized them. One club he owned was a Western themed one called the Silver Spur and another was the Vegas Club. The Vegas featured strippers but I don't remember seeing any at the club we went to. It wouldn't have been a big deal for me because, if you recall, I had already seen them in Reynosa and Nuevo Laredo, Mexico in my early teens.  Anyway, we had a great time and it was thrilling for a little country girl to  experience night life like that. I didn't realize until much later that my date was really undercover. He was a gentleman and we had a fine time. Wish I could remember his name. 

This story falls a bit flat, but I just wanted to share.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

THREE SQUARES

HALLOWED EVE?

TO BE AN ONLY CHILD