ADDENDEM TO HISPANIC PANIC
During the socially turbulent 60s we lived in Corpus Christi and I did social work. Several times I called a person who had a house for rent and using my very good Mexican accent in English I would ask them if they still had the house available. Each time they would say no, it was already rented. Then I would call the same one back and in my normal English ask about the house. The reply was usually, "Oh, I'm so glad you called. The house is still available." Discrimination was a hot topic then.
It worked the other way round also. Many times I would make a home visit to a family on welfare and they would speak to each other in Spanish, assuming I didn't understand. Just for kicks, on my way out, I would say something to them in Spanish and leave them with their mouths hanging open.
Please understand that since the topic is Spanish, that is why I have told you these two stories. Do not assume that there were no Anglos on welfare. Need runs the gamut among all peoples.

Oh, my gosh! Talk about good looking! And that woman on his arm isn't bad, either! Great stories, Kay.
ReplyDelete