COMPARISIONS

 I was talking to my dog, Jack, this morning about how difficult it is to be a human. All the decisions we have to make, people we have to put up with, situations we have to tolerate and weather we can't control make our lives very difficult. He communicated with me by the wag of his tail that being a dog ain't that easy either. He reminded me of the saying, "It's a dog's life." Oh, yeah, that one. Well I don't know about that. Would I like to lie around all day sleeping on whatever piece of furniture I find comfortable? Would I like having my ears scratched or my belly rubbed? Sure, but that's if  I would have a kind owner. This conversation is based on the premise that as a dog I would not be a stray or in a pound. There's another point; as a human I don't have an "owner", but as a dog, I would. Well, there's that.

Back to Jack; So he says, "If I'm a happy doggie, I wag my tail, if I don't like someone, I growl, or if I want to warn my companion about something, I bark. The only thing I don't like about my owner is that she keeps giving me dog food and says I have to eat it when I really want what she's eating." As a human I can choose my food, which is nice.

 Another thing I think he's telling me is that he doesn't like that collar I make him wear or the leash I attach to it. He'd much rather run free and chase anything that is smaller than him and moves, like grasshoppers, lizards and squirrels. He's a terrier so his joy is catching something and playing with it. Like shaking a lizard by the head, putting it down, watching it and if it moves, grabbing it and shaking it again until the poor thing finally dies. Then Jack likes to sneak the little body into the house and deposit it on the rug for me to step on. He also likes to sleep on my lap, something I would like to do if I had someone's lap to sleep on. I let him sleep on my bed at night but he sure takes up a lot of room for a little dog. If I try to move him over, he growls. Well, my husband did too.

So, what it all boils down to is that either way we must adapt to our lot in life. Me in mine and Jack in his. And make the best of it whatever befalls you.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

THREE SQUARES

HALLOWED EVE?

TO BE AN ONLY CHILD