SATURDAY WASH DAY
It's another Saturday in the midst of the Pandemic and I am trying to find things to do. Since I don't have a yard it is extra difficult coming up with something to occupy myself. Glad I have Blogger. Thinking about Saturday, I started remembering activities of previous Saturdays. Back when I was still living with my parents we didn't have a washer or dryer. When there were enough items to be washed, Mama and I would drive across town to a lady who took in washing. We could pick up our laundry the next day and it was always nice and clean but it had a little outdoor odor to it. Of course none of our things were made of anything other than cotton, so we had no worries when we discovered that she boiled the sheets and towels in a big black cast iron pot in her back yard. We washed our personal items by hand at home and the wooly things we took to the cleaners.
Moving on to my college years, I would wash my clothes out and hang them from my dorm window. It was difficult when the weather was cold because it's hard to thaw out frozen jeans. And then, of course, they're wet again. Sweaters? Just hung them out there to air out. I used a lot of perfume!
Next time I found laundry difficult was when I began having children. We didn't have much money so we had no washer or dryer. I had to wash our clothes in the bathtub and that included washing diapers there ...of course not together. This was back in the day when disposable diapers hadn't been invented. Just about the time I had my last child, someone came up with disposable diapers and throwaway baby bottles! Sure wish they had come a little earlier.
Now, in this time of quarantine, I find myself getting interested in stupid little things, one of them being just how to separate my dirty clothes and at the same time being thankful that I have a washer and dryer.
Sometimes obscure unimportant things make us aware of our blessings.
P.S. Cleanliness may be next to Godliness but it sure is a lot of work
I can't imagine so many years of cloth diapers! tried being environmentally conscious when Joshua was a baby and went with cloth diapers for a while. It doesn't work too well when you have to soak them while you're at work and hope they don't sour or worse!
ReplyDelete