BRRRR!
Sitting here in my apartment thankful that I have electricity during this cold snap, I am reminded once again of growing up in the country without the amenities offered in a city. I know I have mentioned my rural upbringing before, but right now I'm thankful for the things I learned during that period of my life. For instance, I learned to conserve water because ours came from a well pumped into a tank by a windmill and when there wasn't any wind, there wasn't much water. Also, for quite a while our only heat source was a fireplace in the living room. For a short time we had a wood stove in the kitchen but we soon got an electric one. Anyway, during cold weather my mother would tuck me in to my bed and go wrap a brick in a towel in front of the fireplace. She would call to me and say, "Are you ready?" Then she would tuck the wrapped warm brick by my feet, pull the down comforter over me and kiss me goodnight. Life may have been a bit more difficult then but it sure is a wonderful memory for me.
Also, we have been without electricity off and on all week so I am glad I have some flashlights and a tablet and cell phone so I can read, etc. We are not supposed to use candles here but to heck with that when it's so damn dark you can't see your nose in front of your face. I have one candle, a decorative one, which I lit and kept an eye on for safety. It made me wonder about all the stories we have heard about our ancestors reading by candlelight. Must have been a helluva lot bigger than mine!
One of my biggest problems during this cold snap is with my dog, Jack. Taking him out for his daily duties has become a major problem. We have to take the elevator down to the first floor in order to get outside but that's chancy with the electricity going off and on as it has. We went down the stairs once but I don't relish the thought of getting stuck in a stairwell in the pitch dark either. I just pray about this a lot. My son gave me a grassy pad designed for dogs to use but Jack won't go there.
I have also changed my morning routine to cope with this situation. Usually I get up, get dressed and then prepare my coffee. Now, if the electricity is on, I hit the floor, dash to the kitchen and get the coffee going before the electricity goes off again. I've been lucky so far. This confuses Jack because he is a creature of habit. In about 30 minutes it will be time for me to take him out for his morning poop and I don't know if the elevator will be working or where I'm going to take him so that I don't slip on ice. Guess I'll figure it out with God's help.
Got to send this before the electricity goes off again.
Enough of my situation. I am constantly reminded that I am not living in a tent under a freeway somewhere and that I have food and warm clothing. I am blessed.
Comments
Post a Comment