ODD BITS

 There's nothing new happening in my world right now, nor for that matter in anyone else's. That's due to the corona virus quarantine, face mask wearing confusion.  To console myself I have harkened back to my old Beeville days. (don't you love the word "harken"?)

One of the more outstanding citizens of my home town was a lady from a prominent family who was married to a disagreeable attorney. She was extremely intelligent but it was difficult to keep up with her conversational ramblings. I will always have a soft spot in my heart for her because when she learned that my grandson was serving in Iraq she wrote a very sweet letter to him chattering away about life in Beeville. He told me later that it really helped him to receive that letter. Unfortunately her marriage was not one of joy and happiness and after her husband died she could be seen sitting in a chair in front of his tombstone shaking her finger at him and jabbering on about the things she didn't like about him. She finally got a chance to tell him off. 

There was another lady who, with her husband, had traveled throughout the world, experiencing things like spending a few days living in a yert in Mongolia or riding a camel in the desert. She was fantastic and in her later life when she learned she was dying of cancer, she threw a party and invited all the people who had been part of that life. It was a wonderful gala even though the reason for it was depressing, but it made her and her family happy. It was a lot better than a wake where the departed doesn't get to enjoy their friends. 

Going way back to my early teenage days, I remember a strange boy who was in my class at school. We were all at someone's birthday party one day and he got mad at another boy so he took out his glass eye and threw it at him! Then he couldn't find it so we got down on all fours in the grass looking for a brown glass eye! Yuk!

These little snippets are disconnected I know, but they just popped into my mind so I thought I would share. Thanks for reading them.




Comments

  1. I love your snippets! What can you share about the summer we took care of the Dyer's ranch?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

THREE SQUARES

HALLOWED EVE?

TO BE AN ONLY CHILD