A DAY AT THE MUSEUM

 I want to share some more about my trip to England and this time it will be about the British Museum.

First I have to tell you that I was very proud of myself when I went because I bought my train ticket to Waterloo Station in downtown London. Got on the correct platform, got the correct train and got to the station just fine. Got off, inserted my ticket into the little gate thingy that pops it right out on the other side, went through the gate and found the ATM my son-in-law had told me about. Then I marched myself right out the correct door and got in a queue (that's what they call a line) for the taxi and told the driver to take me to the British Museum. So much traffic and so many people!

When I arrived I was "gobsmacked" (another British phrase) by the size and beauty of the museum. I bought a map which is absolutely necessary unless you intend to just to stand in the middle of the rotunda with your mouth hanging open. I saw artifacts from Crete, Cyprus and Rhodes which greatly resemble those from Mexico and Central America. There are too many items to describe but needless to say it is a marvelous place. The Americas room was fascinating and seemed like it was the busiest as well. There were people from all over the world looking at things from all over the world. It's very hard to describe. 

In their dining room I ate some vegetarian food which consisted of falafal, hummus, a delicious couscous with dates, raisins, olives and shallots in it and a spread with ??? in it to go on the pita which I couldn't chew. I had something with aubergine in it but don't know what it's called. Except for the tough pita it was all good. By this time I was worn out so I went out front to get a taxi which was fairly easy. When I told the driver to take me to Waterloo Station he asked me where I was from. When I told him Texas, we started talking politics and then he told me about the fact that he used to drive a bus but he had cataracts and they took away his bus license and that he was going to have cataract surgery soon. He drove slowly over the Thames so that I could see it and when we go to the station he got out and opened the door for me. They don't all do that. Anyway it was worth the $18.00 it cost. That's pounds, not dollars. At that time the exchange rate was $1.68 to one pound. I'm not good at math so to figure it out, I usually just double the cost of something. 

Back at the train station I tried to find the time table for trips South. In a huge station like Waterloo you have to stand in the middle of that giant building with your head craned back to look up at all the schedules on electronic boards. They make announcements but there was so much noise I couldn't understand that plus the information changes rapidly. Thank goodness I had my son-in-law's instructions so I got on the right train at the right time and got to the right place.

It was a great experience and I learned a lot. Sure was glad to get back to my daughter's house though.

Comments

  1. You're adventures are wonderful! I hope to be able to be as active as long as you have been!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

THREE SQUARES

HALLOWED EVE?

TO BE AN ONLY CHILD