RIDING THE RAILS

 On September 23, 2020, I wrote about some of my experiences on my first trip to England, and today I found some things I'd like to add to that so here goes.

I mentioned in that previous writing that I got confused about the bus schedule back to my daughter's neighborhood. Well, bus schedules are not the only thing I get confused about. One day I worked up enough nerve to take a train to Claygate, a small town that my son-in-law had recommended so he dropped me off at Effingham Station telling me what train to take, helping me buy a ticket and settling me down on a bench to wait. I got on the train, "minding the gap" of course, and after several stops I realized that they had not announced Claygate but instead kept saying that this train was going to Waterloo Station! DOWNTOWN LONDON!

I called my son-in-law and he said just get off and get back on the train to Effingham Station and pay attention to the train to Claygate. (here I am tempted to call it F....ingham) I did as he said and got on the correct train and was able to see the other side of the beautiful rural areas I had passed through the first time. I got off in Claygate which is a cute little town with odd places to eat like the eco-friendly deli where I got a sandwich and right across the narrow street was a fancy Bangladesh restaurant. The deli was full and the Bangi was empty. It looked like a scene from the movie BIG NIGHT. I took some pictures of a real butcher shop and had a chat with the owner.  Got back on the train just like I knew what I was doing and arrived in Effingham okay where my son-in-law picked me up.

My next plan was to get the Waterloo train, this time on purpose, go in to London and get a taxi to the British Museum, all the while hoping I don't wind up in Glagow! That will be my next blog.

Comments

  1. What wonderful adventures to have experienced (survived!) !

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

THREE SQUARES

HALLOWED EVE?

TO BE AN ONLY CHILD