THE KING'S ENGLISH
I must say, just because we Americans have a basic language in common with the British doesn't make us able to comprehend what one or the other is saying or what signs mean.
After I had been in England for about a month I realized the communication problem was much like what my Brazilian friend said. "She been over here for years and she still don't spik so good de English"
I asked about a train to a village called Claygate and the guard told me to take the one "viyahCobham". I thought that was yet another town I had to go through. When I got off the train I saw a sign that said "WAY OUT". At first I thought it was some leftover hippie description of the place but soon discovered it was the exit.
If they want to tell you about a great "scheme", which to us Yanks sounds like some nefarious plan, it's not that, it's just a plan they think is great. If you order streaky bacon, it's like ours with fat running through it. Just bacon is like what we call Canadian bacon. If you ask for a glass of water, you must decide if it is to be still or not. Never thought I'd have to tell my water to be still. " Not" is sparkling.
I also learned that they laugh at us because we wear "fanny packs"." Fanny" is not an acceptable word in England nor is it in New Zealand. I know because my cousin married a New Zealander many years ago and she was ostracized by her neighbors when she said she fell and hurt her fanny. It seems that is a very personal part of the female anatomy to them.
Most of us have heard of fish and chips, yes? Well, I ordered some and was served a huge piece of fried fish surrounded by French fries, which you all probably know, are called "crisps", with little individual jars of mayo and ketchup. It was very good but the fish was a bit tough. My daughter and I had brunch at a charming little place in downtown Esher (pronounced EESHA) where I ordered a full English breakfast. "Full" is an understatement! Two range free scrambled eggs, large link of delicious sausage, two pieces of bacon, two pieces of toast and a baked tomato! I rolled out of there to try to walk it off.
Other little things are so different. Their yards are "gardens", and a sweater is a "jumper". They never say "restroom" if they need the facilities; it's just "TOILET", loud and clear. Another difference is their deer are a dark rusty color and larger than ours, the foxes are about as tall as a coyote and as usual in the animal kingdom, the male pheasant is much prettier than the female. The female looks like an overgrown road runner.
I hope you are not getting tired of these accounts of my trips to the British Isles because there are more coming soon. Tah for now.
Comments
Post a Comment