RE-TRAIPSE

I want to continue taking you with me around England so next we are going to Guildford, down the road a piece from Cobham. In 2014, as I have told you before, while visiting my daughter and her husband, I traveled around by train to see parts of that country. Guildford is south of London on the Wey River and there is a very old castle there. (well, they're all old, aren't they?) 

What I thought would be a small old city turned out to be a huge modern one with this poor old castle clinging to the side of a hill, but with beautiful well-kept grounds around it. There are no available tours of the inside of the castle. The train station was so far from where I wanted to go that when I got there I took a taxi to the castle. There are little shops and neighborhoods which are interesting but the city was just too big for my liking. I ate at a place called Bill's and had Eggs Royale which is poached eggs with hollandaise sauce and salmon over sour dough bread. It was very good but, like most of their meals, way too much for me to finish. They don't give out "doggie bags" either so I had to leave more on my plate than I wished to. BTW, all the eggs served here are free range and very tasty. They are very natural food conscious in Great Britain.

After a walk around the beautifully landscaped grounds, I started exploring the town, crossed the river where some people live in houseboats and started a very long walk back to the train station. Managed to get off at the right train station this time. 


Change of subject: I forgot to tell you about going to the movies in England or the "cinema" as they say. The closest to my daughter's was the Odeon and it was very nice and clean. They assign seats when you buy the ticket and that sounds pretty good but the theater is so dark you can't see the sign on the rows. In my case that really wasn't a problem because there were only three of us in there anyway. I was obedient though and did sit in seat 6, having no idea what row I was on. I sat through 15 minutes of ads which contained more sex scenes than the movie did. Actually, the movie, although cautioning that there was violence, sex and language in it, was cleaner than the Levis ad. It was a true story relating to the gay and lesbian community of London support for the striking coal miners in Wales in 1984. It was very interesting but probably will never show in Texas. There were four screens in the Odeon and on the second floor there's a little lobby with comfortable chairs and restrooms: wait! no, no TOILETS! You can wait there til the movie starts if you want to. Don't know what you do if you have to use the TOILET. Cross your legs, I guess.  I didn't ask.

I know this hasn't been an exciting snippet, but I just like to share some of my fun times with you.

Tah!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

THREE SQUARES

HALLOWED EVE?

TO BE AN ONLY CHILD