MORE SCOTLAND
This is a continuation of the June 10th blog; we stopped at St. Conan's Kirk on Loch Awe. It clings to the rock above the loch and appears to be ancient, but, in fact the original church was started in 1881 by Walter Campbell. He had eclectic taste and wanted it to look very old. Well, he succeeded.
That evening we had a light supper in our lodge and I had a dessert ("pudding" is their word for dessert) It was called sticky pudding and was rather tasteless and was the only thing I've eaten on this trip that I didn't like. The next day we had another good breakfast and left to go to Loch Lomond. Again, unrivaled beauty all the way. Had a late lunch outside at a place called Wayfarer's and I had prawns wrapped in smoked salmon with a nice salad. The fruits and vegetables are so fresh here that it's a great joy to eat them and know they have not been soaked in pesticides.
That evening we had a light supper in our lodge and I had a dessert ("pudding" is their word for dessert) It was called sticky pudding and was rather tasteless and was the only thing I've eaten on this trip that I didn't like. The next day we had another good breakfast and left to go to Loch Lomond. Again, unrivaled beauty all the way. Had a late lunch outside at a place called Wayfarer's and I had prawns wrapped in smoked salmon with a nice salad. The fruits and vegetables are so fresh here that it's a great joy to eat them and know they have not been soaked in pesticides.
We stopped in a town called Callendar on the way and walking down their charming streets, I realized that dogs are permitted in each and every business establishment and the cities put pans of water out on the sidewalk for them. The owners pick up the poop and there isn't any mess anywhere. So nice.
Back to Suie Lodge for a wonderful supper of baked sea bass and veggies. We stayed there for three nights, three great great breakfasts and three lovely suppers and it was $181.10 (pounds). Since one of our dollars will not even buy you a roll of toilet paper over here, I think that was a good deal. It worked out to $301.32 US. Worth every penny.
Beautiful pics!! "prawns wrapped in smoked salmon" sounds like heaven!! Your experience with the cuisine is quite the opposite of the stereotype of bad food in the UK! Way more than haggis available! :)
ReplyDelete