DFW DOINGS

I sat myself down here today to write something dramatic or at least entertaining but nothing is forthcoming. I reread my previous writings and quite enjoyed them. I hope my few readers did as well. 

Not a lot is going on now. We are still trying to to come to grips with this pandemic thing and just about the time we think we've got it under control, they find something else to panic us with. (My English teacher in high school said we should not end a sentence with a dangling participle like "with". I doubt many know what a participle is now, let alone why it shouldn't dangle) Come to think of it, that sounds a bit obscene. Ah, but as usual, I digress .I came across the one where I wrote about my trip with my son to visit my daughter in England. This is not exciting but it's a little different.

I checked in at American Airlines in San Antonio two hours before my flight was scheduled to leave. When I got to the gate I learned my flight was delayed and most of the passengers had gone to Dallas on the 4:00 p.m. flight....but not the little lady from Beeville! Nobody told me I should have done that. Well, I got on another flight and the ticket lady was kind enough to move my seat up closer to the front of the plane so I could get off quicker but I was very nervous about missing my son and our flight to London out of Dallas While waiting I met a young man who said he was going to the same terminal I was in Dallas and I could follow him, which I did. Then after we took off with only 15 people on board, he arranged to move me up with him in First Class. He was a VP of some oil and gas company and after I moved he called ahead to the AA gates and told them I was his aunt and didn't want to miss my flight and that I was meeting my son, (his cousin) and could they hold the plane if I was late! Then, thank God, he guided me through the mouse maze at DFW from concourse A to D. My son was not to be found so this young man yelled out his name three times. It was hilarious. Finally here came my son and off we went. That young man was just one of the many guardian angels I have met in my long life.

Contrary to my request, my travel agent had us seated in "steerage" midship in 31c 32c jammed in like sardines. This was the most uncomfortable flight I have ever been on but we got there safe and sound.

My daughter and her husband met us and off we went to their lovely English house in Esher. Soon after arriving we took off for the countryside going the picturesque way. We stopped at a little village pub, ate a bit, had some good wine and then went on to an old churchyard cemetery for a photo session. Then it was time for them to take us two tired travelers home for a rest.

It was a spectacular beginning to a spectacular trip. More later.  




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

THREE SQUARES

HALLOWED EVE?

TO BE AN ONLY CHILD