MEXICAN EPISODES

 This is a little silly true story that I wrote some years ago but want to share with you now. It was 2001.

   I got a call from one of my Beeville friends telling me that her niece had been in a bad car wreck outside of Mexico City.  My son had been living in Mexico for a number of years and she felt he could help so she wanted to get in touch with him. I called and asked him to stand by, explaining the situation. He said he felt he could help by contacting a cousin who was with the hospital setup down there.

About an hour later I got another call from my friend and she was laughing, which I thought was a bit odd given the circumstances. She said that she had talked to her brother and he told her that the injured party was not the cousin they had originally thought, but her mother-in-law. Evidently she had been offered a job in Cuernavaca and had insisted against all advice that she take her car down there. Unable to dissuade her, my friend had sent one of his employees, Lupe, to drive her and they had also taken her dog. Mind you this is a 53 year old woman who is legally blind in one eye and and evidently also has only one oar in the water, probably on the blind side. 

Her first phone call back to Beeville after the wreck went something like this: "We've had a wreck, I'm okay, Lupe is getting stitches and the dog is dying." The next phone call was much the same. "I'm okay, Lupe is still getting stitches and the dog is dead." Not a word about where they were.

I remember a story similar to this that someone told me long ago about a woman who wanted to take her car to Mexico and so they sent a Mexican-American employee with her. They too had a wreck he was arrested and the Mexicans didn't believe he was a U.S. citizen so they kept him in jail and took all her belongings. Fortunately, she was able to call a well-connected politician in the U.S. and he pulled some strings to get them back home, without her belongings.

Seems the moral of these two stories is: 1. Don't drive to Mexico and 2. If you do, don't take a Mexican employee with you. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

THREE SQUARES

HALLOWED EVE?

TO BE AN ONLY CHILD