RIDING FENCE

Sometimes I have trouble getting to sleep so I try to think of nice things I've done or places I have been. Last night I harkened back to my youth, thus the following:

First of all I have to explain to those of you who don't know what "riding fence" means. That's when you get on a horse and ride along the fence line to check for any damage. When I was about 13 or so my parents and I went to a ranch near Laredo for a visit. While they visited I rode fence with their son and also checked the "tanks". A tank on a ranch, at least back then, is what others may refer to as a pond. Bear in mind that this was deep in southwest Texas near the border and it was hot as hell. Tanks were very important. There was always a post by the tank with a couple of tin cups hanging off it and these were for the thirsty cowboys to use, drinking the same water the cattle did. I think I built up a good immune system from all the stuff I used to ingest at ranches and farms. 

The next episode of riding fence that I remember was when we would go to Hallettsville to visit some friends who had a ranch there. They were from my home town and their son was my boyfriend at the time. We rode a lot of fence while we were there and it wasn't as hot as Laredo and it was definitely more fun. Shot a couple of rattlesnakes while out as well.

The third time I remember riding fence was on a ranch owned by the family of yet another boyfriend. (weird I didn't marry a cowboy, isn't it) Anyway, the ranch was outside of Pleasanton and was located in a very hilly area. It's not easy following a fence line up and down rocky hills. That relationship didn't last long because his father made a pass at me so I left. Ugh!!

That's about all the fence riding I have to tell you about. Not exciting, but a little different.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

THREE SQUARES

HALLOWED EVE?

TO BE AN ONLY CHILD