COOL AND WET

 It has been a long time since I felt like writing anything and I am blaming it on the heat. My brain is in slo-mo and I find it doesn't work well when I'm trying to cope with heat that extends through the wee hours of the night here in Texas. I didn't worry about the heat much when I was growing up because it was just part of life, but now we step out of our air-conditioned homes into the sweltering heat and our bodies get a shock. Then we get into our car which is blazing hot inside even if it's been in the garage, and it takes a good while to cool that off so by the time it's cool, it's time to get out and go in to the store or wherever. If you go to the movies it's a good idea to take a sweater because you'll get icicles on your nose in most of them, that is, if you can find a movie theater that is open now. 

I remember some particularly hot summer nights when I put my pillow on the window sill,(we had screened windows), and tried to get what tiny relief there was from the heat. Unfortunately, there was not much of a breeze.  I also remember that during the drought in the 50s the cactus dried up and died, but I think I told you that. But the biggest difference between then and now regarding heat is that we knew not to waste water by watering the lawn during the hottest part of the day and when we did water, we made sure it wasn't sprinkling the sidewalk or the street. Every day I see sprinklers on during the hottest hours and pointed toward something that will never become green no matter how much it is watered!

I suppose the point of my addressing this subject is that we all need to be aware of the importance of water and not take it for granted. Xeriscaping is the alternative landscaping method of making almost any place attractive and it requires little or no water. I realize that those whose profession involves keeping a golf course pretty need to water it, and I don't have the answer for that.  Hopefully, someone will soon find a way to avoid the use of so much water.

I know I'm just rattling on here with nothing exciting to say, but water and heat are on my mind because I have a choice of sitting in the dark or paying an exorbitant amount of money for my A/C and lights. Thus, I will leave you with these rambling thoughts. Please try to remember that when you wash your hands, it isn't necessary to leave the water running while you scrub them.


 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

THREE SQUARES

HALLOWED EVE?

TO BE AN ONLY CHILD