HORSE TALES
Hello! For three days I have been trying to upload some pictures so that I could put them in this epistle but was unable to do it. Maybe I will be successful this time. My story today is about horses.
I told you about the horse I got on to ride into the barn whereupon I flew off when he stopped and I broke my arm. Well, there's more. When I was very young, maybe about eight or so, we visited some people who offered to let me ride one of their horses. I was excited about that but since my Daddy didn't trust horses he said he would lead this one around for me. I already had the reins in my hand so he reached over the horse's head to take hold of them and in doing so the reins touched the horse's ears. Well, that was a big mistake because the horse had ticks in his ears and they were evidently very sensitive. (We found that out later) The horse reared up on his hind legs and started pawing at Daddy. Daddy had a cigarette in his mouth and the horse's hoof got close enough to break the cigarette in half and kick him in the chest. I fell off under the animal's belly and Mother yelled at me to roll away, which I did. Someone came running over to grab the reins and somehow we managed to get away without serious injury. What a day!
The picture I am inserting is from the rodeo parade in Beeville in 1946. Obviously, neither I nor the horse was happy. Don't know whose horse or saddle it was, but it sure wasn't mine because my father had always had such bad luck with them that I never owned one.

Comments
Post a Comment