VARIOUS VARMINTS
It's been a while since I sat down to write. I think this Covid stuff has dulled my brain, that's my excuse. Anyway, I was reminiscing about my early life out in the country and it was then that I realized how many "varmints" I had encountered there.
I think I told you about the bat that got stuck in my hair on his way out of the garage, and I do remember writing about the mad dog that I had to shoot, but I'm not sure that I told you about the snakes, or the turtle, or the possum. Oh shoot! I think I did, but will tell some of that again.
One occasion I remember is when my grandmother got in the back seat of our big old Mercury and found that she was sharing it with a rattlesnake coiled up on the floor. She moved faster than I had ever seen her, especially since her right leg was stiff and she couldn't bend it. Never did figure out how it got into the car. Anyway, rattlesnakes were a common sight around our place. One day my grandmother found one on the back step and she promptly killed it with a hoe she kept leaning against the back door. Chopped its head off and then called my father to come remove it.
One fun story is about when the hogs in our back lot were screaming and squealing louder than usual, so we went out to see what was happening. Mama lifted up each lid of the feeder to check and sure enough, there was a possum in one with its mouth wide open and hissing at her. She jammed the pitchfork she was holding right down its throat and that was that. I know I told you that because it's one of my granddaughter's favorite stories.
Then there was the turtle who showed up one day in our driveway. I had been told that they pick their favorite place and then return to it each year, so I thought I would test that theory. I painted a big spot on its shell with some red nail polish and set it out in the grass. Didn't see it the next day and so....child that I was, I waited and waited for it to return. Sadly, it didn't, so I guess land turtles aren't the same as the ones who return to the same beaches each year.
I know I told you about my cows. They were the sweetest, gentlest animals and I enjoyed taking care of them. I also told you about someone else's horse we kept in the back lot. That's the one who started galloping once I managed to get on him without saddle or bridle, holding onto the mane. He smelled the feed in the barn and made a beeline for it, stopping suddenly at which point I flew off, hit the side of the barn and broke my arm. Such excitement!
Sorry if I have bored you with twice-told tales. Will try to come up with new stuff next time. Just had to show you my cattle here.


Comments
Post a Comment