BOO!

The "boo" title of this is not meant like the scaring word but for the fact that I don't like Halloween, so BOO. Why, you ask? Because I had so much bad luck on past Halloweens.

It started when we lived in Corpus and our children had friends over so that my husband, Louis, could tell them spooky stories on Halloween evening. We had a little shed in the back yard so they all gathered there to hear him. The idea was that I would tiptoe around from the front of the house and scare them while wearing a black cloak. Sounds good, eh? Well it worked  because in the darkness I stumbled over a metal boot scraper that was in the yard, fell on my face and moaned loudly. They thought it was so scary and they enjoyed it very much. I, however, had to lie there until Louis came around to see where I was and he was alarmed to find me on the ground moaning.

The next Halloween incident occurred when we lived in Beeville and I was home alone with our children. Louis was off in some foreign country so I had to put up with kids knocking on the door asking for candy. I ran out of candy and when the next bunch came by I told them I didn't have any more but they didn't believe me and starting pushing their way into the house. These were big teenage kids who shouldn't have been trick or treating in the first place and when I told them to leave in Spanish they backed out pretty fast.

The next one occurred when we lived in New Orleans and a boy my kids went to school with tried to scare us by tearing off a limb from a tree in our front yard. Never did figure out what that had to do with Halloween.

One year Louis was home and he dressed up in a big black cloak and sat at the organ making gruesome sounding music. When they came to the door I would swing it back without being seen and they could see him slamming on the organ. The kids would run away and word got around so pretty soon that there was a nut living there so we had no more callers! That's the way I like it!

This year Paul and I are not leaving any lights on in the front and we will sit in the dark watching TV. Hopefully we will have no problems.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

THREE SQUARES

HALLOWED EVE?

TO BE AN ONLY CHILD