GO FLY A KITE!

 One time when I was about 8 0r 9 years old the leaders of the community (that being Beeville), decided to have a kite flying contest for the children. The prizes were to be U.S. Savings Bonds which helped our government raise money to pay for the ships planes tanks, etc, that were needed during WWII.

Well, Daddy made a really terrific box kite for me out of some brown paper and sticks. Mama painted something on it, (I don't remember what) and I entered the contest. It turned out that I was the only girl entered! That didn't stop me though and I won for the highest flying kite! I won a $25.00 Savings Bond. There is a picture of me at the contest and an article as well The article in the newspaper was titled "MERE GIRL WINS KITE CONTEST".  Doncha' love it! The picture is somewhere with all my memorabilia.    

P.S. When I was older I bought some more Savings Bonds and later cashed them in to buy my first registered Hereford. Raising cattle was how I put myself through college. Put that in you pipe, boys, and smoke it!!

O shoot! I just realized that I had written about the Bond and cattle some time ago. Oh well, I'm old so I should be forgiven for repeating.  Sorry!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

THREE SQUARES

HALLOWED EVE?

TO BE AN ONLY CHILD